The CRSM College Counseling Department promotes college and career readiness through a diverse assortment of opportunities offered to our students.
Students are introduced to college-related concepts and the value of obtaining a college degree.
Students have the opportunity to learn what happens in a college admissions office and how their applications might be reviewed.
In small group sessions, students lay the foundation for the college application process. They create a resume, research colleges, and craft their college essays.
Students participate in weekly college search and application seminars. They can also attend after-school application workshops for additional support.
Students participate in a six-week College Readiness Group. This group helps prepare students for what to expect when they begin college. They learn college terminology, identify resources on college campuses, and begin thinking critically about how to approach the next four years of their education.
Additional Supports provided by the CRSM Counseling Department include :
College Campus Visits
- Guided by the college counseling team, students visit various local colleges. Students tour the campuses, learn about what the colleges offer, and meet with college admissions representatives.
- Fly-In Programs: College counselors assist students in applying for fly-ins, targeting specific colleges that may be good fits for particular students.
Pre-College Summer Programs
- All CRSM juniors apply to pre-college summer programs throughout the country. CRSM students regularly attend programs at the following schools, among many others: Georgetown University, Brown University, Fairfield University, and Marquette University.
College Rep Visits
- Every Fall, CRSM hosts a college fair at the high school. Over 35 colleges and universities are scheduled to meet with all juniors and seniors on this day.
- CRSM hosts small group sessions for students where they will meet college representatives from across the country. These sessions help students learn about what colleges offer as well as what college admissions representatives look for as they review incoming applications.
Student and Family Support
- FAFSA Workshops: CRSM offers several workshops that assist families in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Trained volunteers and staff assist CRSM families, as well as other families in our community in completing this important financial aid process.
- SAT Prep Course: Juniors attend a SAT prep class that is offered after school for 12 weeks leading up to the spring SAT test date. CRSM administers the spring SAT on campus.
- Networking with Community Resources: The CRSM Counseling Department collaborates with other community organizations: College Bound Opportunities(CBO), Schuler Scholar Program, Waukegan to College(W2C), and Illinois Student Assistance Commission(ISAC).
College Counseling Staff
Mary Ann Hocter
Many CRSM teachers are returning to the classroom this week with a renewed passion for literature, science, leadership, social studies, and a variety of new AP exam testing expertise after attending teacher institutes and professional development programs across the...
It is Monday morning and the first day of school at CRSM. The entire community of 406 students, including the new freshman Class of 2026, and about 100 faculty, staff and volunteers gathered at 8:15 a.m. in the cafeteria for a kick-off assembly. “We want you to do...
Grab a book and your beach bag! Principal Mike Odiotti’s top summer reads! For the fourth year in a row, “Dr. O” is sharing his favorite books of the summer (thus far). “Read, read, and read” is the mantra he’s always sharing with students, staff, and faculty “both...